Αναζήτηση

Powered By Blogger

Apr 30, 2013

REC10 Wireless Range Extender Fixes Your Crappy Wi-Fi Signal

REC10 Wireless Range Extender Fixes Your Crappy Wi-Fi Signal:


If you live in a home larger than a single room, chances are you've experienced Wi-Fi reception issues before. We've offered several DIY solutions in the past, but those only go so far in larger homes with signal-killing walls. The Amped Wireless REC10 powers through those impenetrable corners of your home so you can actually get internet access everywhere.
I live in a large apartment with a roommate, so it isn't huge but it's big enough that the Wi-Fi just won't make it to my bedroom without causing significant dropouts. I'd repurposed an old Airport Express to extend the signal, which worked fine, but the speeds could've been a bit better. After implementing the REC10, however, the signal made it right through the Wi-Fi-killing wall no problem and gave me the same speeds I could expect when sitting in the living room, much closer to the router.
The REC10 connects to your existing Wi-Fi router wirelessly. You don't have to run an ethernet cable to it, like I had to with my AirPort Express. Setup isn't too difficult, either. You just connect to the REC10, choose the network you want to extend, provide the Wi-Fi password and fill in a few other settings. When you're done, you'll have a new extended network to connect to in the formerly Wi-Fi-less corners of your home. Of course, the REC10 won't work miracles. You need to put it somewhat near the router. I was actually able to place it fairly far away—in an area that received poor Wi-Fi reception normally—and it extended my network just fine. That said, if you're attempting to extend your network over a long range you may need more than one little gadget.
Overall, I was really surprised by how effectively the REC10 boosted my Wi-Fi signal. I tried it assuming it wouldn't manage to solve my Wi-Fi problems, but it did. If you're stuck with a crappy signal and DIY options aren't doing the trick, give this thing a try. It's pretty powerful for such a tiny little thing.
Amped Wireless REC10 High Power 600mW Compact Wi-Fi Range Extender ($70) | Amazon